duke of edinburgh award open expeditions and residentials
Based on the iconic west coast of Scotland Snowgoose Mountain Centre is an AAP ( Duke of Edinburgh Award Approved Activity Provider of Expeditions) at Gold and Silver Levels. There are endless acres of mountainous country, vast fresh water inland lochs, fabulous wilderness environments, endless coastal fringes.
Snowgoose Mountain Centre is ideally located to:
• Run a programme of pre – dated Open Silver and Gold Expeditions for individuals and small groups who may have difficulty in accessing convenient expedition training, Practice or Qualifying Walking Expedition within their area.
• To provide the opportunity to arrange & develop tailored expedition training, Practice & Qualifying expeditions by foot, open canoe, river kayak and sea kayak working with schools, colleges & youth groups
• Provide independent accredited expedition supervision and assessment with only fully qualified & experienced staff.
• Residential opportunities to learn outdoor adventure skills.
Our emphasis will always be to provide adequate support and expertise for all participants to develop and undertake their own programme of training – this is their Award after all! Our individual approach with comprehensive and high quality service will ensure that all participants take as much away from their involvement in the Award as possible – at whatever level.
Unless we are providing the training leading up to the Training or Qualifying Expedition, we expect all participants to have already undertaken proven, previous adequate training and provide evidence for this – we do not provide this pre-training within our expedition packages.
What we include : |
• DofE Expedition information if required
• Comprehensive pre-expedition paperwork pack for participants and parents, including consent forms and kit lists etc.
• Assistance with expedition paperwork. We will help to complete operating authority notifications, green forms and risk assessments.
• An informed point of contact at Snowgoose Mountain Centre to provide continuing support throughout your expedition programme.
• High quality training with fully qualified & accredited outdoor practitioners.
• Information for parents as required.
• Training materials and helpful handouts for participants.
• Accredited supervision throughout the expeditions from experienced and friendly instructors.
• Accredited assessors for the qualifying expedition.
• Free use of our group kit.
• An extensive range of specialist dehydrated and freeze dried expedition food if required
• We do not include off the peg / pre- planned expedition routes.
We provide the following essential group kit free of charge:
• Stoves, Pans and Fuel
• Group Shelters
• First Aid Kit
We will work with you to choose a suitable location for your group in the West Highlands for a new and more adventurous location. HOWEVER – we strongly believe that the expedition must be planned in full by the participants – we do not provide ready made & pre- planned expedition routes! Our base is just 4 miles from Fort William on the west coast of Scotland – an outdoor adventure mecca in the West Highlands. We are accessible to remote wild country areas – both land, fresh and coastal areas and an ideal venue especially for Gold Expeditions.
As a guideline price for walking expeditions (training and actual expeditions) there is a cost of £45 per person per day plus overnight self catered bunkhouse accommodation. Our simple pricing policy will makes it easy for you to manage a budget.
Extra Costs:-Snowgoose Mountain Centre can provide any additional necessary specialist outdoor equipment. You will need to provide all your food for your stay in our bunkhouse and out on expeditions. We can provide an extensive range of specialist dehydrated and freeze dried expedition food if required. This will need to be pre-ordered at least 2 weeks prior to the expedition. We will always lay on a minibus for you to purchase your food supplies locally if need be.
ben nevis mountain days
a great day out on Ben Nevis the UK's highest…
winter gear hire
hire winter mountain boots, ice axe & crampons
winter navigation & safety
hit the hills in winter with the skills to navigate…
classic winter ridges & gullies
from classic major ridges & snow gullies, mixed climbs -…
young persons winter courses
learn to use ice axe, crampons & winter navigation
introduction to snow & ice climbing
instruction and guiding in technical winter skills, snow & ice,…
this is where a hill walker becomes a proper mountaineer
winter mountain walking
develop essential winter hill walking skills