summer mountain walking days
preview| While many folks come to our area with the main objective of climbing Ben Nevis there are many other very worthwhile other options for excellent mountain walking days depending on your aims, previous experience & level of fitness.
Number of Days | Normally 1 day
Minimum Ages | 10 years in accompanied family group – 14 years unaccompanied
Maximum Ratio | Depending on the route taken this will normally be a maximum of 1: 8 (easy walking routes); 1:6 (mountain walking routes which may involve the use of a rope for confidence) ; 1:4 (more technical walking routes which include some scrambling and / or the use of a rope for security).
Summary | Most mountain walking tracks start from near or just above sea level in our area which may mean a fairly long walk in. Mountain walking days involve distances of 10km – 15km – 25km from start to finish with an ascent of around 900 – 1300 meters with the same for the descent.
While there may be a made path on the lower sections, more than half of the the upper sections will more than likely be heather with rough ground , rocky with loose boulder and scree. Snow patches are not uncommon on the upper slopes in mid summer. The higher slopes of mountains are always colder than at sea level. The summits of our mountains are often 7-9 degrees colder than in the glen below – with wind chill making it feel much colder – even in summer.
Dates, Days & Prices
|Number of days’ Guiding / Instruction||Max Group Size||Cost:| per person/minimum group size 2 persons||Scheduled days- other days also available||Enquire/Booking|
|1 Day mid week Monday– Thursday (Easy Mountain Walking )||1:8||£ 70 (£140) + £ 20 per additional person||Mondays & Wednesdays||Enquire|
|1 Day weekend Friday – Sunday (Easy Mountain Walking)||1:8||Friday & Saturday||Enquire|
|1 Day mid week Monday – Thursday (High Mountain Walking Routes)||1:6||£ 80 (£160) + £ 25 per additional person||Mondays & Wednesdays||Enquire|
|1 Day weekend Friday – Sunday (High Mountain Walking Routes)||1:6||Friday & Saturday||Enquire|
|1 Day midweek Monday – Thursday (Mountain Scrambling Routes)||1:4||£ 90 (£180) + £ 40 per additional person||Mondays & Wednesdays||Enquire|
|1 Day weekend Friday – Sunday (Mountain Scrambling Routes)||1:4||Friday & Saturday||Enquire|
Non Technical Mountain Guiding 1:1
|Max Group Size||Cost||Scheduled Days||Enquire / Booking|
|Easy Mountain Walking Tracks||1:1||£ 140||At Any Time Subject to Availability||Enquire|
|High Mountain Walking Routes||1:1||£ 160||Enquire|
|Mountain Scrambling Routes||1:1||£ 180||Enquire|
Itinerary / Details |
Take advantage of an opportunity to:
- Depending on your previous experience there is a vast choice to explore new mountain walking & scrambling routes with the support of informed local information.
- Guiding by a locally based qualified Mountain Leader or guide with small groups for additional safety & personal attention
- Join a group as an individual or
- Hire a private guide for yourself or your group – the maximum group size we work with is 8 persons – but more than 1 group can be accommodated at on time.
- Learn about the history, geology, wild life & flora of the mountain with your informed locally based guide
- Magnificent views all the way round out to the Glencoe mountain range; Ardnamurchan & Argour, right up the Great Glen, and even out to the Hebrides & Mull.
- Learn about map reading & navigation
Location & Potential Routes |
Carn Mor Dearg Arete
Guided Mountaineering Routes
Times & Meeting | Meet at Snowgoose Mountain Centre in the village of Corpach for pre-brief and gear check at 9.00 am.
What is included | All guiding / instructional fees, group first aid kit, group shelter, emergency rope, map & compass, any technical gear required, transport from Snowgoose Mountain Centre to / from your choice of route within a reasonable local distance. Otherwise we will make a realistic charge for travel
Gear list – What to bring
On the mountain you will see loads of folks out on the hills who are poorly equipped and shod. These are the ones who will become cold, wet, uncomfortable – and may be in need of assistance or rescue before the end of the day.
to wear on the day |
- Proper walking boots – not trainers or sandals! The decision of the instructor / guide will be final on whether your foot wear is suitable. If in doubt we have a selection of walking and mountain boot for hire @ £ 5.00 per pair per day. Essential
- Preferably 2 layers of woollen socks – not thin nylon socks. Essential
- No jeans. Essential. Fleece or woollen trousers
- Some form of interchangeable layering system for your top half – depending on the time of year this should include a base layer – t-shirt (long or short sleeved); a shirt or sweat shirt; a fleece. Exactly what you wear will depend on what you have to hand and what you are comfortable with.
to carry with you |
- Waterproof trousers & jacket. Essential
- A small day sac – say 35 litres. Essential
- Spare fleece. Essential
- Warm hat & gloves. Essential
- Packed lunch & drink – not a packet of crisps – carbs essential!!
- Map & compass if you have them
- Emergency snack – Mars bar etc
- Sun glasses & sun cream
Additional Costs | Hire of mountain boots and water proofs if you do not have them.
ben nevis mountain days
a great day out on Ben Nevis the UK's highest…
winter gear hire
hire winter mountain boots, ice axe & crampons
winter navigation & safety
hit the hills in winter with the skills to navigate…
classic winter ridges & gullies
from classic major ridges & snow gullies, mixed climbs -…
young persons winter courses
learn to use ice axe, crampons & winter navigation
introduction to snow & ice climbing
instruction and guiding in technical winter skills, snow & ice,…
this is where a hill walker becomes a proper mountaineer
winter mountain walking
develop essential winter hill walking skills