guided ben nevis days
Many folks come to our area with the main objective of climbing Ben Nevis – the highest mountain in the UK with more than one way to reach the summit. We are happy to offer several options to do this depending on your aims, previous experience & level of fitness
Number of Days’ Instruction / Guiding | Normally 1 day
Maximum Ratio | Depending on the route taken this will normally be a maximum of : |
Normal Mountain Track and Water Slide ascent 1:8; Cairn Mor Dearg (CMD) arete 1:6; Ledge Route 1: 4 Summary | The “ordinary” mountain track starts from near sea level in Glen Nevis – usually from Achintee Farm and is around 15km from start to finish with an ascent of around 1,344m with the same for the descent. While there is a made path on the lower sections the top half is rough ground with loose boulder and scree. Snow patches are not uncommon on the upper slopes in mid summer. The higher slopes of mountains are always colder than at sea level. The summit of Ben Nevis is often 7-9 degrees colder than in the glen below – with wind chill making it feel much colder.
Location & Choice of Routes |
The Mountain (Pony or Tourist) Track
Water Slide Ascent
Carn Mor Dearg Arete
Guided Mountaineering Routes
Minimum Ages | 10 years in accompanied family group; 14 years unaccompanied
Dates / Days & Prices |
|Number of Days’ guiding / Instruction||Max Group Sizes||Cost : per person / minimum of 2 persons||Scheduled Days||Booking|
|Previous Experience – who this is for | If you are reasonably ” city fit” and have done some hillwalking before then the walk up Ben Nevis is achievable in good weather conditions on a full day walk of 6-8 hours. We normally allow 4 hours up and 3 hours down. However, this is a full mountain walking adventure no matter the weather or time of year. Even the easiest walking route up Ben Nevis should never be taken lightly even if accompanied by a qualified guide. Good planning and personal clothing with sturdy mountain boots are essential.|
|I Day midweek Monday – Thursday (Mountain Track)||1:8||£ 70 (£140) + £ 20 per additional persons||Mondays & Wednesdays||Enquire|
|I Day weekend Friday – Sunday Thursday (Mountain Track)||1:8||Fridays & Saturdays||Enquire|
|I Day midweek Monday – Thursday (Waterslide Ascent)||1:6||£ 80 (£160) + £25 per additional adult||Tuesdays & Thursdays||Enquire|
|I Day weekend Friday – Sunday Thursday (Waterslide Ascent)||1:6||Fridays & Saturdays||Enquire|
|I Day midweek Monday – Thursday (CMD Arete)||1:6||£ 90 (£160) + 24 per additional person||Wednesdays||Enquire|
|I Day weekend Friday – Sunday Thursday (CMD Arete)||1:6||Fridays & Saturdays||Enquire|
|I Day midweek Monday – Thursday (Ledge Route)||1:4||£ 110 (£ 220) + £ 50 per additional person||Thursdays||Enquire|
|I Day weekend Friday – Sunday Thursday (Ledge Route)||1:4||Fridays & Saturdays||Enquire|
|Location / Non Technical Routes||Max Group Size||Cost per person 1:1||Scheduled Days||Booking|
|Mountain Track||1:1||£ 140||At any time subject to availability||Enquire|
|Waterslide Ascent||1:1||£ 160||Enquire|
|Carn Mor Dearg Arete (CMD)||1:1||£ 180||Enqire|
|Ledge Route||1:1||£ 210||Enquire|
Take advantage of this opportunity of:
- Guiding by a locally based qualified Mountain Leader or guide with small groups for additional safety & personal attention
- Join a pre dated group
- or Hire a private guide for yourself or your group – the maximum group size we work with is 8 persons – but more than 1 group can be accommodated at on time.
- Depending on your previous experience there is a choice of route – the normal mountain track; CMD; or from the south side of Ben Nevis via Steall.
- Learn about the history, geology, wild life & flora of the mountain with your informed locally based guide
- Magnificent views all the way round out to the Glencoe mountain range, Ardnamurchan & Argour, right up the Great Glen, and even out to the Hebrides & Mull.
- Learn about map reading & navigation
- Put your feet up when you return to the valley with a welcome beer, glass of wine, a cup tea or coffee at Ben Nevis Inn or Café Beg.
Times & Meeting | Meet at Snowgoose Mountain Centre in the village of Corpach for pre-brief and gear check at 9.00 am.
What is included | All guiding / instructional fees, group first aid kit, group shelter, emergency rope, map & compass, transport from Snowgoose Mountain Centre to / from Glen Nevis
Gear list – what to bring|
On the mountain you will see loads of folks who are poorly equipped and shod. These are the ones who will become cold, wet, uncomfortable – and may be in need of assistance or rescue before the end of the day.
To wear on the day :
• Proper walking boots – not trainers or sandals! The decision of the instructor / guide will be final on whether your foot wear is suitable. If in doubt we have a selection of walking and mountain boot for hire @ £ 5.00 per pair per day. Essential
• Preferably 2 layers of woollen socks – not thin nylon socks. Essential
• No jeans. Essential. Fleece or woollen trousers
• Some form of interchangeable layering system for your top half – depending on the time of year this should include a base layer – t-shirt (long or short sleeved); a shirt or sweat shirt; a fleece. Exactly what you wear will depend on what you have to hand and what you are comfortable with.
To carry with you :
• Waterproof trousers & jacket. Essential
• A small day sac – say 35 litres. Essential
• Spare fleece. Essential
• Warm hat & gloves. Essential
• Packed lunch & drink – not a packet of crisps – carbs essential!!
• Map & compass if you have them
• Emergency snack – Mars bar etc – plus one for your guide!
• Sun glasses & sun cream
Additional Costs | Hire of mountain boots and water proofs if you do not have them.
ben nevis mountain days
a great day out on Ben Nevis the UK's highest…
winter gear hire
hire winter mountain boots, ice axe & crampons
winter navigation & safety
hit the hills in winter with the skills to navigate…
classic winter ridges & gullies
from classic major ridges & snow gullies, mixed climbs -…
young persons winter courses
learn to use ice axe, crampons & winter navigation
introduction to snow & ice climbing
instruction and guiding in technical winter skills, snow & ice,…
this is where a hill walker becomes a proper mountaineer
winter mountain walking
develop essential winter hill walking skills